Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Adding layers, creating warmth

On Saturday it's time to adjust our clocks and "fall back". By now the trees are done showing us their beautiful array of colors and have lost their leaves.

Part of me dreads this time of year because it's dark when I wake in the morning and it gets dark so early in the afternoon. For a girl from California who craves warm sunshine, this can very difficult. However, there is a part of me that loves the "snuggie-ness" of this time of year. Curling up under a soft blanket by the fire with a good book (or more realistically, my computer!) can't be beat!

So what does an interior designer like me do to get her house ready for shorter days and long, chilly nights? Well, first I begin with a bit of a fall clean-up! And I don't mean just the leaves outside. Take a look around your home and decide what your are done using for the season. By now you no longer need the lightweight jackets and flip-flops. Maybe it's even your outdoor furniture (unless you can still use it to sit by your fire pit for a few more weeks). Sweep out the garage. Make room for shovels, boots and perhaps some sleds! Stack some wood, and if you live around me, get your generator ready for winter.

Inside, I like to change things up a bit with the onset of a new season. Simple ideas like changing out the photographs of my kids from summertime fun to pictures of them jumping in the leaves. I even like to change up my artwork around the house to something more fitting for the season. This way I don't get bored with my décor, because it's changing every season!

I bring out lots of soft, warm blankets to throw on the couches and chairs in fall hues like orange and red. Or, toss a fake-fur throw on the couch. On a chilly day, just the sight of a thick, plush fake-fur blanket is enough to warm the heart — and cuddling under it will certainly warm your toes! Faux-fur is classic and will never go out of style...just like snuggling!

Since orange is one of my favorite colors, I love to add pops of it all over my home. Right about now, I would love to be sharing a cup of coffee in this kitchen I recently completed with PK Surroundings in Exeter, NH.





Check out some more inspiring fall decorating ideas and photos from The Inspired Room blog.

And for that extra touch of fall, homemade potpourri that I found on Express-O.

Here is what you will need: - the peel of one orange
- one cut up apple
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon of cloves
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of almond extract
- 1.5 cups of water plus plenty more for refill

Place all ingredients in a cooking pot and simmer throughout the day while adding a bit of water from time to time. Also, you can reuse this mix for three days and store it in the fridge overnight.
Ta dah!



Warmly,

Renee


No comments:

Post a Comment