Thursday, July 24, 2014

Go ahead, walk all over me!

That's right, I said "walk all over me!!" That's because this week we're talking rugs!!

Often times rugs can be the jumping off point in a room. It's easy to find the colors of your room in a vibrant rug. Other times rugs are used as a neutral backdrop for more dramatic furnishings and pillows. Whatever works!

There are so many choices sometimes it can be hard to figure out where to begin. Whenever I design a room, I always ask my client if they have an "inspiration piece". Something that they love so much that they either want to incorporate that piece into the room design, or they want to mimic the colors or style. Sometimes that inspiration piece is a rug, believe it or not! A certain floor covering may have the exact colors and style you want for your room, but you just don't know how to pull it all together.

If something other than a rug is your "inspiration piece" (which is often the case), then you need to decide what role that rug is going to play in your room. Is it a focal point? Or do you want it to balance your room and pull all of your other pieces together? Whatever the case is, there's a rug out there to suit your needs!


Dare to be a little different! There are tons of shapes and sizes to choose from these days. Think outside the box and go for squares and circles. There are even irregular shapes that add character and interest and become more works of art, like this one from Angela Adams.


I think that when it comes to rugs Angela Adams is brilliant! She's one of my favorite designers and is the master of imagination adding raised relief to her designs.
Ocean by Angela Adams

For example, I am using this rug in a seaside home. It's so lovely I think I can actually smell the salty air! (wouldn't that be amazing...I digress, sorry!!)


  
 

    


photo via YLDesign
Get creative and think about using rugs on the walls. It just might surprise you how fun this looks. Check out this +Pinterest board that's got some great ideas for hanging your favorite rug! Click here to see the board!

The Liora Goldfish Blue Carpet Square from CB2




 
Rugs can spark the imagination and tell a story. I am actually using this little rug from +CB2   in an upcoming cottage design! I love the feeling it evokes, and the colors are divine!


Of course, material is very important to consider. Know thy Family (and friends and pets). If you know you have a high traffic area with lots of little (and big feet) consider a more durable nylon or man made material. I love using indoor/outdoor rugs for under dining room tables and kids play areas. +Grandin Road  has great, colorful and affordable options.  Check them out by clicking here!


If you are looking for a more flexible option, I would recommend you check out Flor. Their styles are always at the forefront of playful, durable designs. Wine spill, muddy feet, cat brought in something it shouldn't have? No worries, just pick up the individual tile, wash it off and slap it back down. When you are ready for a new design, you can pack up the old tiles and ship them off, knowing that they will be reused in another rug (minus what the cat dragged in).


Nothing beats natural material under foot, so when you can, use wool. It is a wonderfully strong, luxurious material that becomes a family heirloom. Some of my favorite companies to purchase from are Surya and +Company C. They have made it easy to find what you are looking for by allowing you to search by size, color, material, etc.!

Citrus by Susan Sargent


I also love Susan Sargent rugs because they practically vibrate with unique and whimsical colors.

Lake Placid by MAT
MAT is another favorite of mine, especially because they have a strong history of environmentally friendly, fair trade products that are as easy on the world as they are under foot. 

Can't find the size you need? No fear. Consider having a broadloom bound. Many wall to wall floor coverings can be cut to size and bound with or without a border.  One of my all time favorites is the decadent, tactile carpet Shangri-La from +Masland Carpets.



I used this rug in my assistants family room because they wanted the beauty of hardwoods, but still needed something cozy to lay on for movie nights! It is also my number one choice for an area rug in a bedroom. It is warm and soft underfoot with just a little bounce.  Trust me, you will actually look forward to getting up in the middle of the night :)

It's a lot to consider when choosing a floor covering for your room. But I think once you decide what role your rug will play in your room design - focal point vs. neutral - you will easily find something to suit your needs.

Warmly (& softly underfoot!),

Renee


No comments:

Post a Comment